Harry F. Sinclair House (Ukrainian Institute of America)

 

Located in the midst of  “Museum Mile” on the Upper East Side stands an ornate, French Renaissance-style mansion modestly named the Harry F. Sinclair House. Now the home of the Ukrainian Institute of America, this massive historical building was first constructed in 1898 by a renowned architect of the time, C.P.H. Gilbert, for a railroad investor and banker by the name of Isaac Fletcher. Harry F. Sinclair, founder of Sinclair Oil Company, bought the mansion in the 1920’s and sold it only ten years later. Regardless of his relatively short stay in the mansion it has retained his name to this day.

Tours of the Harry F. Sinclair House will take place throughout OHNY Weekend, starting on the hour.

Below is a photo of the Harry F. Sinclair House taken from past OHNY Weekend’s Focus on Architecture Photo Competition submissions:

photo credit Michael Schedler

In celebration of our 10 year Anniversary openhousenewyork pays homage to those sites and organizations that have supported and contributed to making our annual Weekend what it is today. This series of blog posts cover sites which originally opened their doors at the inaugural Weekend in 2003 and have continually reaffirmed their support and participation year after year.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.