OHNY staff recently visited The First Church of Christ Scientist, located on 68th and Central Park West.  This copper domed Beaux-Arts church is an OHNY Weekend site and the location of our first volunteer training session on September 24.

Having recently emerged from a renovation that began in 2005, the Church (formerly The Second Church of Christ Scientist) was originally designed by Frederick R. Comstock and completed in 1901.  Highlights include the white marble exterior, huge stained glass windows and prominent organ case above the musicians’ gallery.

The Church’s magnificent organ tells its own story.  Renovated and expanded in 1928, the original organ pipes were built over a century ago in 1899 by J.H. and C.S. Odell of New York City.  For years, the Church has offered an organ recital on Thanksgiving Day for the benefit of those attending the Macy’s Parade, which begins only a few blocks north of the church.

Read more about the church’s history and consolidation in this New York Times article.

Entrance to Church of Christ Scientist

Entrance to Church of Christ Scientist

Lobby area

Lobby area

Main sanctuary

Main sanctuary

Staircase

Staircase

First Church of Christ Scientist
10 West 68th Street, New York, NY

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.