Renee recently took a trip to Israel in December and we’ll be highlighting her trip in a series of Field Trip Fridays!

Today takes us to The White City, a collection of over 4,000 Bauhaus or International style buildings in Tel Aviv,  introduced in the 1920s and 1930s by German Jewish architects who settled in Palestine after the rise of the Nazis. Tel Aviv has the largest number of buildings in this style of any city in the world. In 2003, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) proclaimed The White City a World Cultural Heritage site, as “an outstanding example of new town planning and architecture in the early 20th century.”

Buildings in the White City

The construction of the buildings that make up The White City continued until the 1950’s in the area around Rothschild Boulevard. Their design had to incorporate the extremes of the Mediterranean and desert climate. White and light colors reflect the heat and walls had to protect against the sun. Although large areas of glass help characterize the Bauhaus style in Europe, these were replaced with small recessed windows that limit the heat and glare. And long narrow balconies allow residents to enjoy the sea breeze.

Buildings in the White City

Renee observed that while the area is beautiful,  many of the buildings have been neglected and could use some more attention. Fortunately, since legislation has passed, some have been refurbished and at least 1,500 more are slated for preservation and restoration.

Next week, we’ll share Renee’s visit to the Design Museum Holon, set to open this spring!

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.