Open House New York and Wikimedia NYC invite you to participate in one of the largest collaboratively compiled and edited media projects in history.
Submit your best photos taken at any 2016 OHNY Weekend site or tour for a chance to win prizes! Prizes will be awarded to the best photos in three categories – Interiors, Exteriors, and Details – one of which will also be named Grand Prize Winner.
All submitted photographs will become part of Wikimedia Commons, the online repository of free-use, public domain images that are used across Wikimedia—including as illustrations for Wikipedia articles. Your photos could one day illustrate an article about an OHNY Weekend site, architecture, or New York City!
Submissions must be taken during OHNY Weekend on October 15 and 16, 2016 and feature a participating site. The deadline to submit photos is Sunday, October 23 at 11:59pm.
Please note: In keeping with the guidelines of Wikimedia Commons, all photos entered into the Wikipedia @ OHNY Weekend Photo Competition will be considered to be freely licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike license, permitting free use for any purpose and the creation of derivative works.
Prizes will be awarded to the best photos in three categories – Interiors, Exteriors, and Details – one of which will also be named a Grand Prize Winner. Each category winner will receive a $100 voucher for New York City Photo Safari that can be used towards booking any regular Photo Safari and a signed copy of 100 Years, 100 Buildings by John Hill. One Grand Prize Winner will also receive a $250 Amazon Gift Card and a brand new Tamrac HooDoo 20 camera backpack.
One winner will be chosen in each category – Interiors, Exteriors, and Details – from among all submission by judges:
• Whitney Donhauser, Ronay Menschel Director, Museum of the City of New York
• Pat Kiernan, Morning Anchor, NY1
• Sylvia Kollar, Director, Municipal Archives, New York City Department of Records and Information Services
• Christopher Payne, Photographer
• Frank Rocco, Photographer, New York City Photo Safari
• Saundra Thomas, Vice-President of Community Affairs, WABC-TV
Submit your photo online at https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Campaign:OHNY2016. The deadline to submit photos is 11:59 pm on Sunday, October 23. Photos will not be accepted via any other means. Please note that you will be asked to create a Wikimedia Commons account to submit photos, and be sure to include your email address so that you can be contacted if you are selected as a category winner.
Photo submissions should:
• Be taken during OHNY Weekend on Saturday or Sunday, October 15 or 16, 2016 at a participating OHNY Weekend site or tour
• Be properly labeled in the “description” field with the name of the site or tour in which the photo was taken. Photo descriptions that do not name the site will not be eligible
• Highlight architecture and design excellence, and not your fellow explorers including OHNY participants, volunteers, and guides.
• Entrants must be 18 years or older
• The entrant guarantees that (s)he is the copyright holder of the work
• In keeping with the guidelines of Wikimedia Commons, photos will be considered to be freely licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 license, permitting free use for any purpose and the creation of derivative works.
By submitting a photo for the Wikimedia @ OHNY Weekend Photo Competition, you agree to all of the above rules and conditions.
Want to learn more about how these photos will be catalogued and used on Wikipedia articles? On Sunday, October 16 Wikimedia NYC will host a multimedia tutorial, workshop, and hackathon focused on Wikimedia Commons and the work processes for cultural multimedia wiki-projects. Stop by the NYU Interactive Telecommunications Program at 721 Broadway, Manhattan, between 2 and 7:30pm to participate.
Questions about the competition? Email us at email@example.com.
Wikimedia NYC is an independent 501(c)3 organization that serves as the local Wikimedia chapter for New York City and the metropolitan area. As a community nonprofit, Wikimedia NYC welcomes educational and cultural partnerships with all local institutions interested in the further expansion and diversification of free knowledge.
Open House New York gratefully acknowledges the generous support of New York City Photo Safari for this year’s competition prizes.